Friday, April 6, 2012

Broke Girls LOVE Starbucks


            I know what you’re thinking…what do you mean broke girls love Starbucks?  How can a coffee that costs as much as a value meal at McDonalds be budget friendly? Well my friends you can afford Starbucks on a budget trust me!  How can you do this?  First, check out my Twitter page @Brkgrlonabudget for when I post about Starbucks and other coffee deals I find on various deal websites.  Or do what I do on a daily basis, painstakingly comb over the deal websites like LivingSocial, Groupon, GoogleOffers, etc looking for deals for you favorite coffee shop like Starbucks.  Personally I’d vote for the first option since it saves you valuable time and money, but hey that’s just my opinion.  

            Wednesday I was doing my daily run through of deal websites when lo and behold to what should my wondering eyes should appear…a deal for $5 for $10 at Starbucks on GoogleOffers.  I blinked a few times and clicked on the fine print because I thought there was no way that this deal was legit.  Why on earth would a company that is as successful as Starbucks ever put a deal up on GoogleOffers right?  Shockingly the deal was legit and I am now the proud owner of a $10 instant gift card to Starbucks.  So I now have ability to enjoy my personal Starbucks fav, a Caramel Frappuccino for a fraction of the cost!

            There are 2 different budget friendly ways to make this deal stretch as far as possible.  The first way is to order the Tall size drinks when ordering something like a Caramel Frappuccino.  I did a little research on the calorie count of the blended drinks and the hours you would need to spend in the gym to work of a Venti sized drink just aren’t worth the moment on the lips it took to enjoy it.  A Venti Caramel Frappuccino has 510 calories and 17g of fat and can cost anywhere from $4.50- $5.50 on average depending on where you purchase it.  So you will only get 2 drinks max with your gift card and an expanding waistline.  If you bought the Tall size Caramel Frappuccino it would only cost you 300 calories and 11g of fat and it is much more wallet or in this case gift card friendly with drinks running on average of $3.30 to $3.75.  This means that you could possibly get 3 drinks with your gift card and save yourself hours at the gym!

            My second budget friendly way to use your gift card is to use it to buy a one pound bag and to take home with you and brew it yourself.  The bags run from $11.95 to $13.95 so you would be paying a little bit extra, but the savings when you brew it yourself are incredible.  If you are worried about the freshness of your coffee then buy whole bean coffee and purchase a coffee grinder.  I found coffee grinders on Amazon for $11-$20, you don’t need anything super fancy, it just grinds beans after all.  There are tons of different coffee creamers out there that often go on sale and there are often coupons in the paper or on coupon websites to make them even more affordable.  Brewing coffee at home also allows you to customize your coffee just the way you like it too so you can be your own Barista.  The best part about buying a one pound bag of coffee…after you use it you can bring the bag back for a free cup of coffee!!

Time for my caffeine fix!

Until Next Time,
Broke Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment